VMware Cloud Community
mfinkler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Group for single VM

Hi,

I want to delegate access-rights to some users, so that they can access the vCenter and manage "their" vms. But I don't want to give the right to a user directly, instead I want to user AD-groups.

So here is my idea:

- one group to access vsphere (works fine)

- for every single VM, I will create a AD group. The group can access the machine, the user who needs the VM, will be member in the group. Also with the group there will be local admin-rights.

And here is the problem.

The dark pictures are the admin, the white ones are the user.

I added a AD group to access the vCenter, the user, who is member of the group can login. He can't see any VM.

vcenter01.pngvcenter02.png

I added the group "<domain>\ADMIN_SERVER_<MACHINENAME> on the VM itself and put the user in the ad group, but the user can't see the machine. I already waited some time. 

vcenter03.pngvcenter02.png

But if I add the user to the VM directly, he can do the things, he is supposed to do.

vcenter04.pngvcenter05.png

Has somebody a possible solution for that behavior? 

Kind regards

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

@mfinkler,

Quick question, I have seen this issue is fixed by using Active Directory over LDAP instead of IWA as Identity Source. Which one are you using right now?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

@mfinkler,

Quick question, I have seen this issue is fixed by using Active Directory over LDAP instead of IWA as Identity Source. Which one are you using right now?

0 Kudos
mfinkler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @Lalegre 

indeed we are using IWA, so I will change to Active Directory over LDAP and test again.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
mfinkler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unfortunately I can't test it today, because every time i add LDAP, I get an error:

Check the network settings and make sure you have network access to the identity source.

After looking for the cause of this, I found to remove the authentication source first - two entries for the same domain is not allowed.

I will test it tomorrow

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

@mfinkler,

Yes, indeed you cannot have the same name for the same domain, and also, if you are using LDAPs you will need port 636 to be allowed + the certificate on the Identity Source.

Remember to take a snapshot 😁

0 Kudos
mfinkler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Lalegre 

Snapshot, sure 😁

After deleting IWA I could add Active Directory over LDAP.

Now the user can see "his" VM.

Thank you very much!