VMware Cloud Community
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ghost hostnames

Every now and then after i connect iOS devices to my Mac to charge/ use/sync etc, then disconnect then, i find Hostname changes in ESXI..

Why does this happen?  It's really annoying, almost to the point, its just *asking* to be a statically set (Attached)

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 5.27.41 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 5.31.09 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 5.31.23 pm.png

I don't have exsi running with device connected, but when i ESXI up, it appears

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If I was to guess, I would look for a misconfigured router, that has an overlap between the pool of DHCP and fixed IP addresses, or two routers with overlapping DHCP address pools, one for Ethernet and one for Wifi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If I was to guess, I would look for a misconfigured router, that has an overlap between the pool of DHCP and fixed IP addresses, or two routers with overlapping DHCP address pools, one for Ethernet and one for Wifi.

0 Kudos
BenediktFrenzel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is the same DHCP Scope used for WiFi?
If yes you may an assign a static reservation to your Host.

0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It seems i found switching to "Host only" and  "Reset System Configuration" fixed the issue on host.. However Wi-fi- shares same DHCP scope on router..

So, the issue seems to be only when router issues .. Even when setting static on Host does nothing..

When I change back to "bridged" even after resetting system config on Host, it picks up "ghost' again...

I do have static IP on host with 192.x address, so would be be be the cause?

How can I have staticically set NAS and ESxi   co-exist without ghost appearing ?

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The simplest answer is probably to simply change the host's address to one which is outside the DHCP allocation pool.

Alternatively, change the DHCP pool size on the router, so that the existing host address is outside the allocation range.

What methods are available to to will be dependent on the make and model of router.

0 Kudos