VMware Cloud Community
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting 503 Service Unavailable when attempting to access HTML 5 in vCenter 6.5

Good afternoon,

I am getting the following error when attempting to launch vSphere client HTML5:

503 Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint: [class Vmacore::Http::LocalServiceSpec:0x0000001993b01430] _serverNamespace = /ui action = Allow _port = 5090)

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

That error is basically useless since it can either be expected while the service is starting up, or can mean just about anything. You need to look at the logs on the vcenter server its self

vSphere Web Client Logs

0 Kudos
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What should I be specifically looking for within the logs....it is definitely not because we are waiting for it to start up.....

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

please check which service failed to start

ssh to vcsa or use shell

service-control --status --all

share the output to us

based on the services down, we need to isolate which service is down like vapi-endpoint,vpxd-svcs, vpxd or vsphere-ui.. and check the relevant service logs in /var/log/vmware folder

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is what I get when running that command:

C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\bin>service-control --status --all

Running:

EsxAgentManager VMWareAfdService VMWareCertificateService VMWareDirectoryService VMwareComponentManager VMwareDNSService VMwareIdentityMgmtService VMwareSTS VServiceManager rhttpp

roxy vPostgres vapiEndpoint vimPBSM vmon vmonapi vmsyslogcollector vmware-autodeploy-waiter vmware-cis-config vmware-license vmware-perfcharts vmware-psc-client vmwareServiceContro

lAgent vpxd vpxd-svcs vsan-health vspherewebclientsvc

Stopped:

VMWareCAMService content-library mbcs vmware-imagebuilder vmware-network-coredump vsphere-ui

C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\bin>

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Could you try to run: service-control --stop --all and service-control --start --all to see which service fails to initialize?

0 Kudos
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which service log should I pull?

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That depends on what service is the one failing when you try to start all of them.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Not saying this is the issue, but looks the error, you need to look for something similar

VMware Knowledge Base

com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackagesDeployer                 Error deploying one of more bundles for the plugin package C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\runtime\vsphere-ui\plugin-packages\license-client java.lang.Exception: Timed out waiting for a bundle to start.

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.DirectApiBundleDeployer.waitForBundlesStart(DirectApiBundleDeployer.java:98)

at com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.DirectApiBundleDeployer.deploy(DirectApiBundleDeployer.java:58)

[2018-10-19T11:28:47.557+08:00] [ERROR] plugin-deploy2                org.eclipse.virgo.medic.eventlog.default                         XF1009E Failed to deploy plugin package 'com.vmware.license.client' version '6.5.0.10000'.

[2018-10-19T11:38:48.014+08:00] [ERROR] ng DM Context Creation Timer  org.eclipse.virgo.medic.eventlog.default                         AG0000E Application context creation failure for bundle 'com.vmware.license.client-6.5.0.10000-com.vmware.license.client.licenseservice' version '6.5.0.13000'. org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.vmware.license.client-6.5.0.10000-com.vmware.license.client.licenseservice' has timed out waiting for (objectClass=org.springframework.beans.factory.config.Scope)

see how these "at com.vmware" these types of errors stand out compared to the rest of the errors. You should be looking at vsphere-ui which is the logs I mentioned, and that service looked stopped based on the output you've provided so far.

0 Kudos
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking at the vsphere_Client_virgo log and finding this:

[2020-08-26T09:41:49.630-04:00] [INFO ] -extension-manager-pool-1408 70008432 100361 200243 com.vmware.vise.extensionfw.impl.PackagesDeployer                 Could not resolve dependencies for plugins packages: [ com.vmware.fallback.mixed:6.5.0 requires: [ com.vmware.vsphere.client lessThan 6.0.2 ]; ];

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

is it windows 2016?

0 Kudos
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2012 R2 Standard

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ok thanks, you can try the steps in kb article for sure..

0 Kudos
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried the KB article resolution at the bottom of the article and still getting the same issue.  I guess at this point it is time to open a support call.

If the issue persist, perform the below steps:

1. Ensure that the vsphere-ui service stopped.
  2. Delete the HTML5 client work folder.
  3. Open webclient.properties file that is located
  • VCSA: /etc/vmware/vsphere-ui
  • VC for Windows: C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vsphere-ui
  1. Add (or Edit) the following property

pickup.deployer=true

1. Start the vsphere-ui service.
0 Kudos