VMware Cloud Community
mnw48
Contributor
Contributor

GTX980 GPU passthrough not working on esxi versions after 7.0b

GTX980 in windows 10 VM, GPU passthrough

i decided to reinstall the esxi host on a larger SSD, and while i was at it, use the latest version of esxi, i was using 7.0b, which had a few issues like the passthrough toggle for the main GPU being used (there is another workaround that ive yet to implement), saw that this was apparently fixed in later versions, so didnt think anything can go wrong.

but the main problem, GPU passthrough... my quadro 600 was fine, but the GTX980 was having none of it, it just wouldnt work properly in the VM, kept switching back to the VMware virtual graphics and display, so i redid the VM config, and reinstalled windows, still not properly, i cycled down through all the versions of esxi host, redoing the VM when needed to being lower version of esxi than the VM and it just never worked, after multiple VM wipes and OS reinstalls, the next version was the one i just left, 7.0b, so like the others versions, installed, setup the things i needed like i had done many times now... i still had a viable VM for that version backed up, so restored it to the esxi datastore, and it worked fine, this was a copy of the same VM that i originally tried on the latest version of esxi when the problems started happening, so my time resulted in me thinking all versions after 7.0b jujst do not work with my GTX980 and GPU passthrough... this is insane, this cant be... did i miss something?

0 Kudos
0 Replies