VMware Cloud Community
dgingeri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Free backup for Windows Server on free hypervisor?

I'm sure many have asked this before, but I wasn't able to find a thread that had recent answers to this question, so I'll ask it. 

What is a decent free backup software for Windows Server 2016 that works on VMs running on the free ESXi hypervisor?

I have 6 training VMs running Windows Server 2016: DC, WSUS, file server, PostGreSQL, SQL Server Express 2017, and an IIS web server, spread across 4 SSDs with no redundancy.  I've spent a lot of time on them, and I'd prefer to not lose them.  So, I need backups.  Currently, they're all running the built in backup program to extra virtual drives stored on 1TB mechanical hard drives, but that seems a little less than a preferred backup method. 

Any recommendations by those who have actually used them and liked them (don't just send me stuff from a google search, I have done that myself, and many of those aren't very good) would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Have you already checked the free edition of Veeam?

Free Windows Backup for Endpoints, Servers, Desktops - Veeam Agent for Windows

Veeam Backup Free Edition for virtual machines (VeeamZIP)

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

dgingeri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I looked at Veeam, but the last time I downloaded their free version back in 2013, I was inundated with sales calls for almost a year.  I'd rather avoid that, but I'll do it if I have to.

0 Kudos