VMware Cloud Community
lctn2
Contributor
Contributor

Fatal error 33 with upgrade & new install / md5 good

I replaced a fan on a HP Dl360P Gen 8 server. When the server was powered back up, I received the error: Error loading /s.v00 (Fatal error 33).

I downloaded a new copy of HPs 5.5 Esxi and did an upgrade but received the same error. did an install, preserving vmfs but received same error. Downloaded a new iso and checked md5, which was good. Did another install but get the same error.

The server boots from a FC 3par volume which is confirmed to be in a good state. The install completes without any delays or errors.

Not sure how you can do a successful install and have data corruption on the 1st boot.

Checked on some forums and see one person had to replace the motherboard to get past the error.

Ideas?

5 Replies
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi lctn2

Yes you are right this can be due to the bad hardware or boot disk corruption.

Try to check the ISO USB pen drive you are using to boot the ESXi to upgrade (even that cause the issue).

We had similar issue before  and it was due to faulty hard drive once and one time ISO bootable USB was not proper, used rufus tool and created a new image.

Please double check your USB drive and check on hardware,,,

Can you please share the screenshot of the error....!!!

Regards, Raj

www.hypervmwarecloud.com

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
lctn2
Contributor
Contributor

That is what is so puzzling to me. The server boots to a 3Par Fibre Channel volume that is in a healthy state (According to the 3par Admin Console) two other servers boot fine to similar volumes on the same 3par system.

The CD used for the install checks out fine and MD5 has been verified.

Install, preserving vmfs,  formats the volume and installs without a hitch, yet when I boot the server it stops at the same spot every time.

See pic

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As you refer KB from VMware on this Error : VMware Knowledge Base

They mentioned Causes as below:

• Hardware that is not listed in the VMware Hardware Compatibility Guide
  • A corrupt ESXi 5.x installation file supplied by a vendor
  • A vendor-provided USB drive or CD/DVD media that is faulty
  • The boot device, such as a USB Flash Drive or SD Flash Card, that is being installed on is corrupt or faulty

As you have double checked the last 3steps and now you left with cause1-Hardware Compatibility.

Please check the ISO (ESXi version) you are using to install now and your Hardware/BIOS/Drivers etc.,

As i mentioned above, in my case it was just USB stick..

Regards, Raj

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
lctn2
Contributor
Contributor

The servers are ProLiant DL380 Gen 8. This requires that you use the HP release of ESXI.

I downloaded ESXI from HP, twice, and verified it to be good. MD5 checks out.

The server was operational for many months with ESXI 5.5; the same version I had on it and the same version installed on my other 2 host servers (same model). The error popped up after a restart when I replaced a cooling fan.

The boot volume checks out to be clean and healthy.

The install goes fine, without a hitch.

The only area I cannot be sure about is the state of the motherboard. Still not sure how that can cause the issue but someone else with the same problem seemed to think it could.

Thanks for helping.

Raymond

0 Kudos
lctn2
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new 3par boot volume but ended up with the same error, so installed to a local usb drive and that worked fine, so it is some issue with the FC adapter but that is still very strange, since the installs went just fine.

Anyway, back up and running with plan B.

Thanks for the help.

Raymond