VMware Cloud Community
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Failover capacity in use?

Hello guys,

I wanna understand a simple fact : when i define the HA admission control policy on a cluster e.g. "percentage of cluster resources reserved as failover..." and i set both CPU and RAM to 20%
Is this 20 % not used at all by the clusters when there are host failures ?
or are these resources used by the other hosts in the mean time ? i'm not dealing with this for a long time and i need some refresh.

Many thanks in advance,

Daniele

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It means that vSphere will disallow any power-ons of VMs that encroach upon any resources over 80% of what your cluster contains.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It means that vSphere will disallow any power-ons of VMs that encroach upon any resources over 80% of what your cluster contains.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

When you set the Admission Control to reserves 20% of cluster resources (RAM/CPU) it means you cannot provide more than 80% of TOTAL cluster's hosts physical resources

for your VMs. This reserved capcity will be used for failover situation when one of the hosts of your cluster fails it will used for handling migrated VMs.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos