VMware Cloud Community
STI69
Contributor
Contributor

Failed waiting for data. Error 195887250. Migration determined a failure by the VMX

We have ESXi 7u2d host and the actual error is :

Failed waiting for data. Error 195887250. Migration determined a failure by the VMX. Failed to write checkpoint data (offset 25153536, size 16384): Limit exceeded.

The operation I performed was an attempt to convert a former Physical RDM to a vmdk. I have detached the Physical RDM and mounted it as an RDM in Virtual compat mode and then performed an svMotion which at the very end came with above faiilure. It refers to the VMX and possibly on a hardcoded limit in the VMX  in the form of an offset, that is exceeded.

Can anyone clear out what this offset is about ?  Is there a way to increase the limit imposed ? It has 4 vCPU and 8Gb ram set to it

I have relaunched a clone operation as a second attempt  , this time I perform the operation on a powered off system. Others options would be cloning the vmdk using vmkfstools or , use VMware Converter (the RDM is 13TB though) and installing a regular backup agent and restoring it.

within an vmdk. Is there any chance that editing the vmx would yield a better outcome ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies