VMware Cloud Community
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Failed to Setup Trunk Between VMware ESXi 6.5 and HP Switch 5130 EI Series

Hi All,

I find difficulty when setup trunk between VMware ESXi and HP Switch 5130 Ei series. In my mind, when setup ESXi and Cisco switch this only simple thing, just setup trunk mode on switch port, and allow some VLANs, and voila it will work immediately.

In this case, I have ESXi host connected to 2 HP Switches (stacked already) with 8 cables/wires (4 wires per switch). In vSwtich (using standard vswitch), in NIC teaming, we setup to "Route based on IP Hash" like below:

pastedImage_0.png

in HP Switch, we setup BAGG (maybe something like etherchanel or LACP in Cisco),

Here is ss of BAGG group: Aggregation Mode Static

pastedImage_2.png

In Bridge Aggregation we setup trunk, and setup PVID 182 (this is vlan of ESXi host). Then, we allow all vlans to pass.

pastedImage_1.png

we also setup VLAN 182 in VMware ESXi DCUI.

But in the end, we still can not ping the ESXi host.

Many questions here:

- Please correct if you see something wrong with our configuration?

- Does VMware standard vswitch support BAGG (LACP) mode in HP switch?

- Does LACP support stacked physical switch?

Please support to figure out my problem. if you need any additional info we are happy to share.

any information will be very appreciated.

Best Regards,

Azlan Syah

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After hours troubleshooting, we finally fix the issue.

We only need to leave PVID blank in BAGG4 interface. So now everything run properly.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks to @daphnissov and @a.p. for your respond.

Best Regards,

Azlan Syah

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First, is this just a standalone ESXi host? No vCenter involved?

For most switch vendors, there is no aggregation across physical switches, especially in static mode.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Let's start with this one. You said:

we also setup VLAN 182 in VMware ESXi DCUI.

If the default VLAN is already set on the physical side, you must not set a VLAN ID on the virtual port group. Since the physical switch already removes the VLAN tag from incoming network packages, ESXi will forward such packages to non tagged port groups only.

As for the trunk. I'm not familiar with your switches. However, once you've fixed the connection issue, you may then check from the physical switch whether the channel/LACP trunk has been properly formed. If not, disable all but one physical switch ports, and enable them one-by-one, always checking the results. This may help to determine what may need to be changed.

André

0 Kudos
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After hours troubleshooting, we finally fix the issue.

We only need to leave PVID blank in BAGG4 interface. So now everything run properly.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks to @daphnissov and @a.p. for your respond.

Best Regards,

Azlan Syah

0 Kudos