VMware Cloud Community
vThornes
Contributor
Contributor

Extract VMware License info from "dead" VCenter

Hi,

I've inherited a client with a VSphere 6.5 installation. Their VCenter server died, so I set up a new one, but couldn't save the license info from the old one. Unfortunately nobody knows which email was used to register the licenses either, it's possibly someone who left the company a while ago.

I have a veeam backup of the old VCenter, but when I restore I cannot get into the web client because of certificate issues. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, but so far no luck. I have root access to the VCenter appliance itself, is there any way to extract the license keys from the database?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure if this is the best approach, but I would suggest for the customer to do the following:

1. Create a MyVMware account using an email account from the same domain

2. Login

3. From the MyVMware home screen, click Get Support from the Quick Links section to the right of the page

4. Select License Key Management from the Non-Technical section

5. Start a chat or raise an incident

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 15.51.28.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you able to connect to the vCenter server via PowerCLI?

If the answer is yes, try this:

$serviceInstance = Get-View ServiceInstance

$licenseman = Get-View ($ServiceInstance | Select -First 1).Content.LicenseManager

$licenseman | Select -ExpandProperty Licenses

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
vThornes
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately not, giving me certificate errors in powerCLI as well, and won't let me connect.

0 Kudos
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What errors do you get?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos