VMware Cloud Community
aakim82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Extend non-OS partition after extra space was allocated to a VM

Hi guys,

On an ESXi server there is a VM running that was about to run of its disk space.

Recently extra X amount of gigabytes were allocated to this machine but now I'm facing the issue with extending partition.

ESXi_01.png

ESXI_02.png

I need to extended "Data Drive (D:)", but the option to Extend disk is greyed out.

The option to extend drive is available only for "OS (C:).

I would highly appreciate if someone could explain me why is it so.

Kind regards, A. K.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This isn't a VMware or virtualization-related problem. You cannot ever extend a partition which isn't contiguously connected to that free space. You should have never created that partition on the same disk as the OS drive. Now you'll have to boot off of some third-party partition tool to reorder the space and move it free blocks after that partition. The better approach is to break this out onto its own, dedicated drive where you'll not have this problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This isn't a VMware or virtualization-related problem. You cannot ever extend a partition which isn't contiguously connected to that free space. You should have never created that partition on the same disk as the OS drive. Now you'll have to boot off of some third-party partition tool to reorder the space and move it free blocks after that partition. The better approach is to break this out onto its own, dedicated drive where you'll not have this problem.

0 Kudos
aakim82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I see your point.

All those partitions are in the same .vmdk and this is why I'm facing this issue.

ESXi_03.png

Is that what you're saying?

Kind regards, A. K.
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos