VMware Cloud Community
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor

Extend a large drive in Windows -- Failed

Hello

I have just extended a 1.9TB drive to 2.4TB for a windows 2012 VM.

Because the drive is over 2TB. I shut down the server, go to web vsphere client and extended the drive. It was all good.

Power the VM back on, go to computer management. go to disk device. reload the display. windows broke the extension into two small pieces. One is 150GB and the other 320GB.

Since the 150GB was right next to my original 1.9TB potion, I extend the one piece. However, when I try to extend the 320GB, I no longer has the extension option available for me. The extension option is grey out.

Will migrating the whole VM from one storage to another storage will fix my problem. It is a 3TB VM.

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The virtual disk has most likely been configured with an MBR partition table, which is limited to 2TB.

What you need to do is to convert the partition table from MBR to GPT in order to use the new disk space.

Please be careful with the tool you are going to use for the conversion, and make sure that you have a current backup.

It is also advisable that you take a snapshot prior to do the conversion, so that you can revert to the current state in case something doesn't work as expected.

André

0 Kudos