VMware Cloud Community
Frizziero77
Contributor
Contributor

Exported VM is reimported with wrong interface naming

Hi experts!!

I'm facing a particular issue when i export a VM and i try to re-import it in order to clone the first one.

Original VM is an applieance that normally need to perform an initial configuration in order to setup the available interfaces.

It uses 4 interfaces, named eth0-eth1-eth2-eth3.

In the original VM the MAC addresses are assigned in "Automatic" mode.

I used ovftool in order to export the VM, without any particular option, just ovftool vi://root:passwd@<serve-ip>/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/VM-Directory ./VM.ova

When i re-import the VM usig the ova i generated, i see that no eth devices are installed... instead, with a ifconfig -a, i can see that there are 4 hidden interfaces but with the following names:

eth4, eth5, eth6 and eth7.

This makes me think that for some reason, when deploying the VM the GuestOS is continuing the eth numeration, like the first 4 position was reserved.....

First hipothesis:

I thought that perhaps the original VM was assigning MAC addresses to ethX names statically, so when deployed, the fact that ESXi assigned new MACs could make the Guest to think that other 4 new interfaces was added.... so i tried by setting the MAC assignation to "Manual"... now when deploying i should use the same MAC of the original VM..... and this is true, but this had not fixed my issue, so i'm still seeing eth4-eth5-eht6-eht7 when i deploy the original ova.

What could i do? Any idea?

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
0 Replies