VMware Cloud Community
StefanMinehan19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Export Vsphere Networks

Hi,

I've had a look online, and following an issue with a esx host that needed rebuilding, i had to manually add all the network pools, vlan ID's etc to the host that died using other hosts for reference.

Is there a way we can back  this up/export it to save having to manually type all this in.

In the event all hosts went down, obviously reconfiguring this would be a nightmare unless we had documented/screenshotted every screen.

Cheers

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

- Host Profiles

- vDS instead vSS

- Some time ago there was a fling like vCenter hmmmmm. It reads the structure of an existing vCenter and creates the Powershell code or something like that to recreate it on another vCenter. Not sure how Hosts are covered.

I often use "esxcfg-vswitch -l" and then recreate the vNetwork from command line. I only struggle with Uplink ordering/security seetings and using the new "esxcli ...." instead the depricated esxcfg.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

- Host Profiles

- vDS instead vSS

- Some time ago there was a fling like vCenter hmmmmm. It reads the structure of an existing vCenter and creates the Powershell code or something like that to recreate it on another vCenter. Not sure how Hosts are covered.

I often use "esxcfg-vswitch -l" and then recreate the vNetwork from command line. I only struggle with Uplink ordering/security seetings and using the new "esxcli ...." instead the depricated esxcfg.

Regards,
Joerg

StefanMinehan19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi There,

I did  end up looking into host Profiles, we dont use VDS so it seemed like the closest choice.

I also exported the settings via powershell just so we have the info to hand. (network adaptor and port group info_

Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter | select VMhost, Name, IP, SubnetMask, Mac, PortGroupName, vMotionEnabled, mtu, FullDuplex, BitRatePerSec | Export-Csv C:\pstest\VMHostNetworkDetails.csv

$VMHosts = Get-VMHost

$Output = Foreach($VMHost in $VMHosts){

Get-VirtualPortGroup -VMHost $VMHost | select @{N='VMHost';E={$VMHost.name}}, Name, VirtualSwitch, VLanId} 

$output | export-csv "C:\pstest\VMHostPortsGroupDetails.csv"

Cheers

0 Kudos