VMware Cloud Community
wipronarayana
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi hypervisor free license usage terms: Need clarification

i have a query regarding vmware esxi hypervisor license. do you help me on this.  

Question: Based on my understanding vmware hypervisor is a free tool having some hardware limitations with free key.

Limitations like:

1. no official vmware support

2. max 8 vcpu per each vm

3. cannot be managed by vcenter

4. vstorage api is not available.

if i agreed the above terms can i use in commercial organization. reponse is appreciated.

Thanks

Narayana.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Others to those you have listed there is also:

No physical CPU limitation

Number of logical CPUs per host: 480

The memory limitations up to 32 GB and the limit of 2 CPU sockets are no longer in place.

Download VMware vSphere

If you use the free license in your company, it's your risk. If something happens you can't get official support, besides not being able to use a Vcenter Server that has many advantages if you have more than one Esxi node.

There are not restrictions on the place of use of the free license.

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Your understanding about the limitations are correct. They are listed on Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware (scroll down)

The name for the free stuff is "vSphere Hypervisor" and the $$ one is named "vSphere ESXi".

Please dont post the same question on multible places. Also iam wondering why the answers from the other thread arent enough.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Nothing is free , every tool/software have evolution period like hyper-visor 60 days ,

After 60 days your production will be down

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

This is incorrect, that only applies to licensed non free versions of esxi during an eval period. Please review the below link

Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware

and note the two sections

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

….vSphere 6.7 has been released and as known from previous versions, VMware provides a free version of their Hypervisor ESXi for everyone again. The license key can be created for free at VMware's website. It has no expiration date.

Free ESXi 6.7 - How to Download and get License Keys - VMware Blogs - VMware Blogs

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unless things have changed recently, there's also a limitation for the free Hypervisor regarding the number of hosts (up to 100) that you may deploy.

IIRC limitation shows up at the registration page once logged in.

André

0 Kudos