VMware Cloud Community
AnsX01
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 7.0 This VM is attached to a network portgroup that doesn't exist.

Hi, when creating a another vmkernel nic on a ESXi-7.0U3b my Network Adapter becomes empty (see attachements), my ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"  in vmx-file is correct, I repeated several times but nothing happens.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are mixing up things.

A "VMkernel" port is one that is used by ESXi itself. What the VM needs to be connected to is a VM (Virtual Machine) port group.
It looks like you've somehow "misused" the "VM Network" port group for vMotion!?

André

AnsX01
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, It's my first approach with Esxi, I'm a Proxmox repented 😎.

My Only goal is to create multi subnet with single Physical nic and of course one vswitch.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can certainly do that, but you need to create different port groups for the differnet use cases, i.e. VMkernel port groups for ESXi (Management, vMotion, ...), and VM port groups to which you can connect your VMs.

Also consider to use VLANs with tagged ports on the physical switch, to separate the different subnets.

André

AnsX01
Contributor
Contributor

So i.e for my labs I need to create (Management Lab)[port groups] + (VM Lab)[port groups] + (vmk1)[VMkernel NICe][Management, vMotion] and link it to my VMs.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe it's better if you explain what exactly you want to achieve, and post a screenshot of the vSwitch with its port groups.

Note that there's no need to have a VMkernal port group in each of the VM subnets.

André

AnsX01
Contributor
Contributor

I have two subnets that I want to be able to use with my VMs . I only have a single NIC available on the host.

The first subnet = 192.168.86.200 assigned to vmk0 VMkernel Port.

My second subnet = 192.168.10.10 assigned to my new vmk1 (issue).

My route 

[root@esx01:~] esxcli network ip route ipv4 list
Network       Netmask        Gateway       Interface  Source
------------  -------------  ------------  ---------  ------
default       0.0.0.0        192.168.86.1  vmk0       MANUAL
192.168.10.0  255.255.255.0  0.0.0.0       vmk1       MANUAL
192.168.86.0  255.255.255.0  0.0.0.0       vmk0       MANUAL
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm still not quite sure what you want to do with vmk1.

André

0 Kudos
AnsX01
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry and thank for your answers 🙂

vmk1 for link it to my subnet!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you want to use the "Management Network" VMkernel port to manage the ESXi host from your LAN, and the "Management Lab" VMkernel port to manage the ESXi host from a VM/system within your lab subnet.

This should basically work. What's the issue you have with that setup?

André

0 Kudos
AnsX01
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies if I was not very clear about my needs.
I just would like to create a lab subnet (192.168.1.10/24) routed with the same gateway of the main network (vmk0) to reach the internet, I had the same configuration with Proxmox with the vmbr01 (Linux bridge).

0 Kudos