VMware Cloud Community
faqini
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Esxi 6.7 cpu ready monster VM

Hi all,

I'm managing some SAP HANA (monster VMs) and I'm experiencing quite high CPU ready values (sometime esxtop shows 30% %rdy values), but without visible performance issue.

For example we have a quad socket server (24 core x 4 socket x 2 thread / 1.5 TB RAM)  that host only one HANA VM (96 vcpu 1.1 TB RAM).

Is there anyone who can share a similar experience with monster VMs?
If someone else has experiences with VM that exceed 1 numa core of the host, could share any suggestion.

I'm not able to understand if those values could hide an issue or not.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Bye

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If the screenshot is showing where you look then the explanation is that esxtop shows a sum of the per vCPU metrics for the sched group (VM), so it actually isn't a lot per vCPU.

I'm talking about "Ready" for ~40 minutes here: https://www.vmworld.com/en/video-library/video-landing.html?sessionid=1589484575728001Zb6J (~24 min in) if you want to know (most of) what there is to know about that particular metric and how we track / display it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If the screenshot is showing where you look then the explanation is that esxtop shows a sum of the per vCPU metrics for the sched group (VM), so it actually isn't a lot per vCPU.

I'm talking about "Ready" for ~40 minutes here: https://www.vmworld.com/en/video-library/video-landing.html?sessionid=1589484575728001Zb6J (~24 min in) if you want to know (most of) what there is to know about that particular metric and how we track / display it.

0 Kudos
faqini
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, very interesting video.

Surely this helps me to understand ready and readiness correctly.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos