VMware Cloud Community
Reverse_Side
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 5.5 - Windows 2019

Hello everyone,

I need to reinstall my two domains controller cause of trust issue, and I will benefit of this obligatory reinstall for update from windows 2012 to 2019.
Esxi 5.5 seems not really "Compatible" with Windows 2019, but can I have an issue?

In the other hand, I know there is the time to update for ESXi 5.5 to 6.5 but I can make only one migration by one migration, and I prefer to begin with Windows Server.

Can I have your advice about that?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kenbshinn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't believe that Server 2019 is supported with ESXi 5.5. I know from experience that getting Server 2012 to work was a bit dicey, and required a modification to the CPU on the VM to make it work.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

The Windows server 2019 is not support in vsphere 5.

VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search

pastedImage_1.png

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
yosherl
Contributor
Contributor

yeah thats right.

But we installed many Windows Server 2019 on ESX 5.x. No probs so far.

If this would be a "normal" compatibility issue there should be any error / warning / log?!

And I cant tell our customer he has to buy a new version of ESX; and we still facing the same issue.

At the moment I dont think the ESXi version is crucial.

Can you see anything in the vmware.log what can help?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

But we installed many Windows Server 2019 on ESX 5.x. No probs so far.

Yeah, except now you have problems, right? Everything always works wonderfully until it doesn't.

And I cant tell our customer he has to buy a new version of ESX; and we still facing the same issue.

Except you need to. They've clearly either taken it upon themselves or have received poor advice to install a new OS on an ancient version of a hypervisor. It clearly states it isn't supported until 6.0. See below from the HCL entry.

pastedImage_0.png

This is the problem when you do things like what was done. You're outside of a known working state, so you start guessing and making assumptions as to what should and shouldn't work. Except you have no basis for those guesses. This is why sticking to compatibility lists is important, even if you don't care about calling in for support.

0 Kudos
a-solomentsev20
Contributor
Contributor

We recently installed a Windows 2019 server on ESXi 5.1 as a guest OS Windows2012 and yesterday tried to deploy it to users as a terminal server, and got an inexplicable 100% CPU, the server was barely breathing ((, I had to go back to the old server with windows 2008 r2 OS, and now we only have two options, either to upgrade esxi to 6.x to deploy a new server 2019 or install what is available, that is, Windows 2012.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Any ESXi host older than 6.5 is no longer supported or updated, you should consider an upgrade of your environment if you are running anything like production workloads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos