Probably this question has been addressed before with different settings and deployment contexts. However, since this is my first time putting hands on more technical esxi related issues I decided to ask for your help.
On a IBM X3650 M4 7915 it has been set up the following enviroment:
- 1 x Esxi 5.1 host with 2 VMs (Windows Server 2012 Standard).
- Everyting is managed through VSphere v 5.1.0
My goal is:
- to install Esxi 6.7 (supported by the hardware) - reading through similar posts I have made it clear that its preferable to opt for a clean instalation rather than upgrade to 6.5 and then to 6.7.
- Deploy two VMs with Windows Server 2019.
- Migrate all services under the OLD VMs to the newly created VMs.
There's no VCenter installed.
Could someone give some suggestions on how do I go about it please?
I suggest you to backup the 2 VMs with Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition (Free), for the Veeam backup server you can use a PC or Laptop (8GB o more in RAM) with enough disk space (even use an external USB disk).
The backup would be performed as a physical machine with the IP, user and password of the 2 VMs.
The restore would be done on ESXi 6.7 with the instant recovery option from the Veeam backup server.
Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition
Physical to Virtual Migration with Veeam