VMware Cloud Community
IngTelecom24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EsXi 6.5 - change Adapter VM

Hello Guys

I'm new on vmware and I would like you help with someone.

I have a Cisco UCS with ESXI 6.5 where I have the Port Group by default and now I will create new port groups which represents differents vlans....

Can I change the network virtual adapters of my VM while they are ON or do I Need to turn it off to make this change? the new virutal adapters would be the new port-groups

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can do this without having to add a new network adapter to the VM, no need to power off the VM first:

Edit the VM settings, select the existing network adapter, choose the new port group

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

(Please ignore, my internet connection dropped while I was trying to reply)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can do this without having to add a new network adapter to the VM, no need to power off the VM first:

Edit the VM settings, select the existing network adapter, choose the new port group

0 Kudos
IngTelecom24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

This is the way I was planning to do it: 

But I don't know if I need to turn OFF my VMs to do this procedure or I can do it having them ON withot losing stored data or something like that.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

And I already answered that you can leave them on.

The guest OS won’t know you made the change, so if your VLANs mean different IP addresses you’ll also need to change that configuration in the guest.

0 Kudos
IngTelecom24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thank you so much for your answer

0 Kudos