VMware Cloud Community
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error to upgrade esxi 5.5 to 6.5: how to resolve

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade an esxi 5.5 host (with free license) to 6.5 with this command in cli:

esxcli software profile update -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml -p ESXi-6.5.0-20180502001-standard

but I obtain the error:

[DependencyError]

VIB Extrasphere_bootbank_extrasphere_2.0.254_1.3.144 violates extensibility rule checks: [u'(line 25: col 0) Element vib failed to validate content']

Please refer to the log file for more details.

In the esxupdate.log file there is this message:

esxupdate: imageprofile: INFO: Adding VIB VMW_bootbank_shim-iscsi-linux-9-2-1-0_6.5.0-0.0.4564106 to ImageProfile (Updated) ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-standard

esxupdate: root: ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):

esxupdate: root: ERROR:   File "/usr/lib/vmware/esxcli-software", line 441, in <module>

esxupdate: root: ERROR:     main()

esxupdate: root: ERROR:   File "/usr/lib/vmware/esxcli-software", line 432, in main

esxupdate: root: ERROR:     ret = CMDTABLE[command](options)

esxupdate: root: ERROR:   File "/usr/lib/vmware/esxcli-software", line 198, in ProfileUpdateCmd

esxupdate: root: ERROR:     allowDowngrades=opts.downgrade)

esxupdate: root: ERROR:   File "/build/mts/release/bora-1331820/bora/build/esx/release/vmvisor/sys-boot/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vmware/esximage/Transaction.py", line 596, in InstallVibsFromProfile

esxupdate: root: ERROR:   File "/build/mts/release/bora-1331820/bora/build/esx/release/vmvisor/sys-boot/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vmware/esximage/Transaction.py", line 347, in _installVibs

esxupdate: root: ERROR:   File "/build/mts/release/bora-1331820/bora/build/esx/release/vmvisor/sys-boot/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vmware/esximage/Transaction.py", line 384, in _validateAndInstallProfile

2020-04-07T08:19:04Z esxupdate: root: ERROR: DependencyError: VIB Extrasphere_bootbank_extrasphere_2.0.254_1.3.144 violates extensibility rule checks: [u'(line 25: col 0) Element vib failed to validate content']

I'm trying to update this remotely cause I can't go in to the office to do it via usb: is it possible to solve it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I resolved with the help of VMWare documentation; first, in a blog post I've seen that was possible to set the level of acceptance to "community": when I try to do the command I received and error; so in the cli, I obtained the list of Vibs on my server with the command

esxcli software vib list

and seen that the vib Extrasphere was the only with "community" as parameter; I removed it with

esxcli software vib remove --vibname Extrasphere

and then upgraded my hypervisor without any issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I resolved with the help of VMWare documentation; first, in a blog post I've seen that was possible to set the level of acceptance to "community": when I try to do the command I received and error; so in the cli, I obtained the list of Vibs on my server with the command

esxcli software vib list

and seen that the vib Extrasphere was the only with "community" as parameter; I removed it with

esxcli software vib remove --vibname Extrasphere

and then upgraded my hypervisor without any issue.

0 Kudos