VMware Cloud Community
ericwentz
Contributor
Contributor

Error replacing default certificate

I'm running VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3 on a ProLiant DL360 Gen9 server.  When I've tried to replace the default certificate for the user interface, it fails. Here are some of the details:

Install Server Certificate

Key  haTask--vim.host.CertificateManager.installServerCertificate-1768737710
Description. Installs a server certificate for the host
State Failed - Cannot change the host configuration.
Errors
  • Low-level system error. See logs for details.

First off, I'm not sure where the above-referenced logs are located.

This worked okay before the update to U3.

Has anybody seen this?  Solution?

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MrDossing
Contributor
Contributor

Same error, no solution.

Got any further?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator should be along to move your thread to the vSphere area, the {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ericwentz
Contributor
Contributor

Okay - I found a work-around. I had to manually replace the certificates on the server file system.  I used filezilla to copy the cert and key to the server, rename the files and reboot the server - if anybody needs the explicit details, reach out and I'll get them to you.

-e

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello @ericwentz,

Good that you solved your issue but here I have a doubt on how were you performing the replacement of the certificate at first as your are saying "manually replace the certificates on the server file system".

As per the same KB that has been going around for years, the correct way of updating the ESXi certificates is by manually copying the .crt and .key inside the OS and replacing the original ones: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2113926

0 Kudos