VMware Cloud Community
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error on vCenter Server Upgrade 7.03 to 8 - Unable to connect to port 22

I'm using Upgrade Wizzard to upgrade vCenter to 8.0 version. The first etape work fine, like in vide but in start of second phase I got a error : "Pre-upgrade check failed due the following problem: Error in method invocation [Errno None] Unable to connect to port 22 on my_server_IP_adress".

Non way to continue.

An idea, I'm really desperate.

Jerzy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The error msg says that SSH on port 22 cant be reached. So check (in VAMI) if SSH is enabled or just try it by starting putty and the IP of our source vCenter.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I resolved it by replacing the IP address with FQDN of VCSA and ESXi host FQDN on the first page of the stage 2 upgrade wizard and now the upgrade is working fine! .)

0 Kudos
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's already FQDN address on the dialog box. And no way to change it... 😞

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Cancel the upgrade, change it and start upgrading again. From which build you are trying to upgrade?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is SSH enabled on your VCSA?

0 Kudos
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From 7.03

0 Kudos
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think non

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The error msg says that SSH on port 22 cant be reached. So check (in VAMI) if SSH is enabled or just try it by starting putty and the IP of our source vCenter.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
zactron32
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I too received this error when upgrading VCSA from v7.0.3 to v8.0.1

It is necessary to enable SSH on the source VCSA to allow the new VCSA to pull data from it. SSH is disabled by defauilt as a security measure.

Access the source VCSA management pages from a browser by specifying its IP address appended by port 5480

https://10.1.2.3:5480

Select 'Access' from the options in the left-hand margin and 'Enbable' SSH Login.

Re-attempt stage two of the upgrade process.

Niyot1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sometimes these upgrades just dont go as smooth. If you have tried everything i.e ssh enabled, FQDN can resolved, tried using the FQDN in place of the IPaddr in during the second stage setup.   Then try another browser i.e. Firefox.   Strangely this worked after getting all the above errors such as host unknow, cannot connect over port 443 or 22. 

0 Kudos