VMware Cloud Community
Bruno_DIA
Contributor
Contributor

Error on login Web Client - Username and password are required

Hi,
Since about 1 week I can't access vSphere in the browser, error "Username and password are required" appears even though I'm typing correct logins.
Even when I type a wrong login in fact, "Incorrect username/passwords" appears, so he's doing the authentication, but it's as if he couldn't pass.

The only relationship I see is that the browser shows an invalid certificate from 01/29/22. I already downloaded the certificate that appears on home valid until 2030, but it seems that it is using the certificate recorded somewhere in the environment.
I'm new to this environment, I'm pretty lost, I don't even know if the certificate is related.
Can you give me some guidance please?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
It could be that because of incorrect login attempts the user root is blocked.
Login directly to the ESXI host console (to enable the ESXi Shell if you have not already done so) Login with root and the correct password. Go to the troubleshooting options and Select Enable ESXi Shell

Press ALT+F1 In the ESXi shell log in with root and the password Run the following commands to display the number of failed attempts:

pam_tally2 --user root

By default the ESXi 6.x password requirements for lockout behavior are:

• A maximum of ten failed attempts is allowed before the account is locked
  • Password lockout is active on SSH and the vSphere Web Service SDK
  • Password lockout is not active on the Direct Console Interface (DCUI) and the ESXi Shell

Run the following command to unlock the root account:

pam_tally2 --user root --reset

Now try again to log in via the web client.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
luisecp2911
Contributor
Contributor

I run:

pam_tally2 --user root

But I see many tried but I only try one. I guess someone is trying to force or hack how I can see yo which is ip is comming

Regards

Luis

0 Kudos