VMware Cloud Community
CraigV75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error installing ESXi 6.5 on HP ProLiant DL385p Gen8

Hi All,

I get the attached error when upgrading from ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 6.5.

I am following the blog below on how to do the necessary upgrades, but do I have to download the specific drivers for the Brocade & QLogic cards? Strange thing is that I did an upgrade on the hosts from 5.1 to 5.5 as an interim path and it went through successfully.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

IMG_8285 (002).JPG

IMG_8286.JPG

IMG_8287.JPG

Tags (1)
6 Replies
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Craig,

1. Check the host to see if the drivers listed in the errors are being used by the host.

2. If you are using the drivers that are causing the conflict, then you would have to download the latest version and install the required drivers prior to upgrading the host.

3. If they are not being used, uninstalling the driers which would not effect the system.

How to fix Conflict vibs error ESXi host upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5?

How to fix Conflict vibs error ESXi host upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5? | Linux/Unix Support

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me it looks like you are trying to install/upgrade the host using the VMware image, rather than the HPE Pre-Gen9 Custom Image.

André

CraigV75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Ashwin.

If I look at that link you sent, how do I verify if those drivers are actually in use? Where will it state that?

I will also look at getting the latest ProLiant Support Pack for that DL385p Gen8 server and get them updated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Craig,

You would have to manually check the cards which are configured by logging in to the host from thick client or webclient.

Determining Network/Storage firmware and driver version in ESXi 4.x and later

VMware Knowledge Base

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
CraigV75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Ashwin, I'll get it off each server's ILO on Monday and then update this thread then.

I thought it would show something in the results of the command line along the lines of "in use"/"not in use".

Thanks!

Craig

CraigV75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ended up doing a fresh install on the hosts and the issue was resolved this way.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of the driver issue.

Thanks for the help!