VMware Cloud Community
telecom_tesla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error: Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed when adding PCI GPU (NVIDIA Tesla V100)

Hi,

the company I work for has contracted a dedicated server in the cloud featuring a NVIDIA V100 that we want to use for AI/Big Data.

In that server we have installed VMware ESXi 6.7U3, and on top of that a VM with Windows Server 2016.

The idea is to passthrough the V100 to the Windows Server, but I am finding some problems.

I ensured that the GPU has Passthrough as Active and I created the VM and added the V100 as PCI device:

active.PNG

+ At the beginning I was having the error "PCI passthrough devices cannot be added when Nested Hardware-Assisted Virtualization is enabled", so after looking on the Internet about that, for that VM I disabled "Virtualization Based Security" (VBS), "Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS" and "Expose IOMMU to the guest OS".

pci_passthrough.PNG

+ Now the error message disappeared but I got a new one!, when turning on the VM it displays: "Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed":

device_power_on.PNG

gpu.PNG

memory.PNG

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
telecom_tesla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved! In addition to all the previous steps that I performed I had to add two configuration parameters:

pciPassthru.use64bitMMIO=”TRUE”

pciPassthru.64bitMMIOSizeGB=32 (because our V100 has 16GB memory)

Everything is described in the following VMware blog: Using GPUs with Virtual Machines on vSphere - Part 2: VMDirectPath I/O - Virtualize Applications

Now after installing the Windows NVIDIA driver in my VM I can see and use the NVIDIA V100:

gpu-vm.png

Thanks anyway for your help guys Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 Replies
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Telecom Tesla,

I don't know if you're using UEFI BIOS or not, but you may need to specify some advanced settings:

VMware vSphere VMDirectPath I/O: Requirements for Platforms and Devices (2142307)

Lars

0 Kudos
telecom_tesla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Lars,

yes, the server makes use of UEFI (firmware = "efi" in the .vmx file).

I also checked and the server is compatible with the version of ESXi that I am using:

compatibility.PNG

Best,

Pablo

0 Kudos
tiagoademay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

sorry for my English

If I'm not mistaken, the problem may be the amount of memory RAM, should be the same as the V100 card = 16Gb or 16384 Mb

0 Kudos
telecom_tesla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same error with 16GB of RAM 😞

11111111.PNG

2222222.PNG

0 Kudos
telecom_tesla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved! In addition to all the previous steps that I performed I had to add two configuration parameters:

pciPassthru.use64bitMMIO=”TRUE”

pciPassthru.64bitMMIOSizeGB=32 (because our V100 has 16GB memory)

Everything is described in the following VMware blog: Using GPUs with Virtual Machines on vSphere - Part 2: VMDirectPath I/O - Virtualize Applications

Now after installing the Windows NVIDIA driver in my VM I can see and use the NVIDIA V100:

gpu-vm.png

Thanks anyway for your help guys Smiley Happy