VMware Cloud Community
asposato
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enhanced Linked Mode vcenter 6.5 - Vmotion

Hi All,

when it comes to have Cross vCenter vMotion, I'm not able to find out any detail about moving VMs across clusters with different CPUs.

So my question is, If I want to perform a data migration between different hosts/CPUs clusters, shall I consider standard EVC compatibility matrix to deploy right EVC configuration, in order to achieve non-disruptive Cross vCenter vMotion across those ?

Thanks

sdnguy83

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If both vcenters are on different location if all network communication is a problem,then definitely you need to power off VM's and then power it on after adding host and getting all network configuration setted up accordingly .

If network is not a constraint, then VM's will still stick onto the host ,NOTE : those VM's and host will not be managed by Vcenter , unless it gets added on another vcneter .

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes , you can perform cross vcneter migration however esxi hardware comes as a criteria .

Yes you need to have EVC enabled in that case,

-->You can have your old ESXi added to new VC(one you have your EVC configured) register all vm from old ESXI to new esxi and then remove the old ESXI from new vcenter .

See below doc:

VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

asposato
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi GayathriS

your statements make sense to me. The only thing that I want to highlight is that, I've already been through the first link taht you provided but I don't see any statement about Cross vC Migration alongside CPU/HW requirements.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, I can achieve cross vcenter migration but, unless EVC it is configured, VMs needs to be shutted down during the proceess.

0 Kudos
adgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>So, correct me if I'm wrong, I can achieve cross vcenter migration but, unless EVC it is configured,

That is correct.

>VMs needs to be shutted down during the proceess.

You can do so, however it is not requirement.

GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If both vcenters are on different location if all network communication is a problem,then definitely you need to power off VM's and then power it on after adding host and getting all network configuration setted up accordingly .

If network is not a constraint, then VM's will still stick onto the host ,NOTE : those VM's and host will not be managed by Vcenter , unless it gets added on another vcneter .

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

0 Kudos