VMware Cloud Community
KingstoneOchien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Effects of changing vMware disk mode from independent to dependent

Hi guys,

I just installed Veeam but realized that i cant take backups of some of my VMs. Veeam support say i have to change my disk mode from independent to dependent.

I've read previous threads, and non one quite explains the effects of having this changed. Is there any data lost or any inconsistencies experienced while changing this considering one of my disks holds my SQL DB?

It's my production environment and just want to be sure.

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The contents within the virtual disk (.vmdk) remain the same, no matter how it is attached to the VM.

The main question is, if there's a reason why it has been configured as independent? Some configurations (e.g. MS Cluster) may need special configurations.

In some cases independent-persistent mode is used to explicitly exclude virtual disks from being snapshotted, to avoid possible timing issues.

If this is a default virtual disk, and no shared access is required, you basically shouldn't have issues with changing the setting (except for afore mentioned timing things), to have it included in the backup.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The contents within the virtual disk (.vmdk) remain the same, no matter how it is attached to the VM.

The main question is, if there's a reason why it has been configured as independent? Some configurations (e.g. MS Cluster) may need special configurations.

In some cases independent-persistent mode is used to explicitly exclude virtual disks from being snapshotted, to avoid possible timing issues.

If this is a default virtual disk, and no shared access is required, you basically shouldn't have issues with changing the setting (except for afore mentioned timing things), to have it included in the backup.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos