VMware Cloud Community
EBoucq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EVC Performance

After some complaints about VM performances in our VMware 6.7.0 U3 infra that includes different clusters, I compared the performances of 2 of them by running the same SAP BW VM.
Here are the specs of those clusters:

- cluster with EVC disabled / Proliant DL380 Gen10 / Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6152 CPU @ 2.10GHz

- cluster with EVC enabled in "Skylake" mode / Proliant DL380 Gen10 / Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6238 CPU @ 2.10GHz

Performances on the cluster with EVC disabled are 40% better than the other one!
Even if EVC might, in some cases, decrease performances, les Xeon 6238 are supposed to be 25% faster than the 6152.

I'm starting to wonder if EVC works well. Is the new "Cascade Lake" mode that came out with VMware 7.0 better ?
Thanks,
Eric

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

EVC can theoretically compromise performance given that it hides more advanced CPU capabilities/offloads - there are some examples in this paper from 2012 and this blog post does mention that it will depend on the workload. This KB article has more detail on the specific modes and vSphere support for them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
EBoucq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. But this doesn't explain the huge difference in the performance...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos