VMware Cloud Community
HtinAungKyaw
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi6.5 U1 unable to set Date,Time and Timezone by manually or NTP Server

ESXi6.5 U1 unable to set Date,Time and Timezone by manually or NTP Server.

I also tried from cli " esxcli system time set and hardware clock set ".I found they are changed to default UTC if system is reboot.

Server Bios battery is good. I can ping and nslookup 0.asia.pool.ntp.org. Please help me?

NTP.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you mean NTP settings you are saving are being removed once you reboot?

Please note, ESXi cannot be set on any other timezone, it will always run on UTC. but vsphere web client should Ideally convert it into local time when you view it. (Never tried this with host client though)

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
HtinAungKyaw
Contributor
Contributor

Now my problem is ->

I found that Time & date have two setting "Manually configure the date and time on this host" and "Use Network Time Protocol(enable NTP client)".

if I change current correct time at "Manually configure the date and time on this host", I found date & time are incorrect by checking "date" esxcli command. HW clock and system time are incorrect.

If I also change current correct time  "HW clock and system time" by using command "esxcli system time set",I found HW clock and system time are correct. But I found time is incorrect at "Manually configure the date and time on this host". I found guest OS use synchronizing time from this "Manually configure the date and time on this host".

Is this time zone problem? Could I change Time zone (UTC+06:30) Yangon(Rangoon) by esxcli command?

time&date.jpg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can synchronize date/time from each NTP server you want. Note however, that this should not be a virtual machine which is running on the ESXi host, as this may cause issues.

Alos note that NTP doesn't handle time zones, i.e. works with UTC time.

André

0 Kudos