VMware Cloud Community
LordArthas1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi won't boot this Server 2016

A bootable Server 2016 iso image is not booting up, I will put the file name and hash for you, and the fact that I had booted this bad boy on a VMware workstation and a normal system before.

SVR2016STD.ENU.NOV2018.iso

* CRC32: 731b292f

* MD5: d53a8af69b05b4de302691685c6833a5

* SHA-1: 9e536129bc3a44279eb304f25896ede4ff514aca

the problem is the same ESXi host that does not booting this, boots a server 2012 iso image,

any idea?

It wasted hours of mine Smiley Sad

how can I create a boot iso that can only give me the windows shell(CMD) so I can manually execute the windows server setup file?

thx a lot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you sure this is a bootable image?

Check it using PowerISO.

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming that you've downloaded the ISO image from a Microsoft web site, you should also find the checksums there to verify that the image is healthy.

Anyway, since you mentioned that you've booted from this image before, I'd suggest that you configure a "Boot Delay" (e.g. 5,000 ms) in the VM's options, which gives you sufficient time to enter the Boot Selection after powering on the VM. At that point, make sure that the ISO image is "Connected", then select the virtual CD-ROM drive as the boot device.

One other thing, that people often miss, is to enable the virtual CD-ROM's "Connect at power on" checkbox in the VM's settings.

André

0 Kudos
Charz09
Contributor
Contributor

Hello LordArthas1​,

What youneed to do is to go your VM options on your VmWare ESXi and scroll down to boot options which would give you 2 options (a) EFI (b) BIOS(Recommended).

Click on the option B which is BIOS(Recommendable), save it and you are good to go.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos