VMware Cloud Community
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

ESXi/vSphere 6.7 on host using e5600 series Xeon processors?

I tried to upgrade my host server from 6.5 to 6.7 some time back, but that failed. I know, officially, VMware no longer supports these processors. I'm just wondering if anyone has managed to get a host upgraded to either 6.7 or 6.7u1 that's using them. Mostly because I'd like to bring my host up to the same level as my vCenter (6.7u1) before I replace it sometime in the next ~6 months.

IF you have managed to do this, I'd like to know what steps you took to get there. I have tried with the offline VIB, but (as I mentioned) that failed. I've not tried to boot form the ISO/CD yet, since that involves more work (need to get a monitor to connect to the host since no iDRAC). I also relocated my hardware from the second floor home office closet to the finished side of the basement. Not that it would make much of a difference, other than not wanting to just stand around for a while as it processes the upgrade.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Just a quick update on getting 6.7 installed on a host using 'unsupported' processors.

I added a new host to my home lab recently. Once I had that up to the current 6.7 release (also updated vCenter before doing that) I was able to also update the old host to 6.7 (using the GA iso). This surprised me a bit since I wasn't able to do an install with the offline package previously. Either way, it did work in this instance. No way to know if this will work for everyone, or anyone else. But it's worth a try if you're looking to get onto 6.7 with older hardware. It also beats trying to do a clean install off of CD/ISO (if you have remote console access).

BTW, my new host is a small Supermicro box with IPMI (similar to iDRAC/iLO). I plan to get a second one within the next ~6 months so that I can use HA/DRS.

Also, I'm using licensing off of the VMUG Advantage membership. Well worth the $180-$200 a year IMO.

0 Kudos