VMware Cloud Community
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi to vsphere ESXi

Hi,

I have installed the ESXi Type 1 hypervisor on my server.

There are already VMs up running.

I'm missing features. I suppose I will get more features if I'm going to install vSphere.

In fact, all I wanna do is the scheduling task feature, to automatically snapshot my VMs.

Currently I have installed a free version of ESXi on my server.

How can I add the vSphere to it? (I have a license) Is it possible without reinstalling the hypervisor?

I have tried to install the vCenter appliance. But I can't do anything there. It just looks nice.

Please could someone help me?

It's for a school project.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
malickware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have more that one esxi you need to install vCenter server which can be installed as a VM(VCSA), Then you can add the esxi host.

This will allow you to have DRS/HA features.

For talking snapshot's their is no automated way in vsphere and you have to use powercli to do that.

0 Kudos
malickware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You do not have to re-install for adding the license and if it's an ESXi license you can apply it directly.

In the host client

Manage==>Licensing==> Assign

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply

If i do that, does it update by itself?

Let me explain the way I'm able to.

Currently when I type in my IP of my ESXi in my browser, I see that blue login screen. Where "ESXi" is written next to it in quite a big font size.

In several youtube videos I saw that same Login screen, but there was written "ESXi vSphere"

Will I get the same?

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I saw it here: Creating Scheduled Tasks in the vSphere Web Client - YouTube

She's taking snapshots with control and right clicking the virtual machines.

By using the Ctrl modifier she's getting the scheduled tasks options instead of the normal options.

This is basically what I'm looking for.

Those vmware products are confusing me

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Scheduled Tasks are a vCenter Feature.

So go out and buy a vSphere Essentials for around 450,- bucks and 60,- for 1Y Subscription.  You should take a look to a VMUG Advantage Membership.

If you receive your new license keys you can just assign them to the host... and without anykind of reinstallation or even a reboot it adds the missing features and unlock all APIs.  Of course you need to install the vCenter Server Appliance named "VCSA". You use a browser as Frontend as same as with your standalone ESXi Host.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

Before I go ahead.

I already installed VSCA as a new VM. I'm able to connect to the webinterface by typing the VMs IP in my webbrowser where VSCA is installed.

So now when assigning the the new license key on my ESXi host, where am I supposed to find the new features?

On my VSCA or on my ESXi host?

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have the essentials.

I can choose from the following products:

VMware vSphere 6.5 Standard

VMware vSphere 6.5 Enterprise

VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus

VMware vCenter Server 6 Standard

VMware NSX for vSphere

vRealize Suite 7 Enterprise

vRealize Suite Standard

Is there any product that can provide me with the scheduled tasks feature?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If you have acess to theses licenses.... great. I thought you have to buy one first.  Choose vCenter Standard and  ESXi Enterprise Plus.

Again.... scheduled Tasks are a feature of vCenter.... of every vCenter edition.

The license management  you can find on the vCenter  "Homepage" after you logged in. IIRC you can select a single lic (ESXi)  and earlier it shows a long list of features.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joerg,

Thank you so much for helping me.

I'll try that out

0 Kudos
Himadri
Contributor
Contributor

If you have more that one esxi you need to install vCenter server which can be installed as a VM(VCSA), Then you can add the esxi host.

First login to one esx and deploy the vcsa.

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

I'm uncertain whether I understood or not.

The "vCenter homepage". What were you exactly referring to?

Are the vCenter Appliance (VSCA) and the vCenter two different things?

I have a hard time figuring out how those entire VMware products are correlating with each other.

Ok, let's get things clear.

1. I have installed ESXi on bare metal

2. I have assigned the "VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus" License to the ESXi -> see Screenshot 1

3. I have installed VSCA, to which I connect via the web client -> see Screenshot 2

Where am I supposed to assign the "vCenter Server 6 Standard" license now?

Thanks again, for helping

Regards,

Sandro

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

No, vCenter and VCSA are not different things. VCSA = vCenter Server Appliance

The VCSA offer different WebGUIs.

If you connect to https://vcsa:5480 this is named VAMI and is only for control of the linux based VM

- There is additional configuration needed

The vCenter starts at https://vcsa:443 and offer 2 different GUI tools

Flex (the old flash based and depricated) = WebClient

HTML5 (the new one) = vSphere Client

After choosing one and successfully login in you will see the vCenter Homepage with several icons in the center of the screen

- There is additional configuration neded

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joerg,

"After choosing one and successfully login in you will see the vCenter Homepage with several icons in the center of the screen"

> I'm here now. (Screenshot 1)

When first signing into there, am I supposed to already see anything? Things like my installed VMs on my ESXi host, CPU load, Memory used etc?

Because the only thing I see is my VSCA virtual machine. I feel like I'm in a bubble with no actual access to anything outside my VCSA VM. Even though I stated the ESXi IP address with the default gateway and credentials etc. during VSCA setup. Is this normal?

Regards,

Sandro

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Hehehehe......

vCenter is a central management tool .... it does not known your ESXi hosts yes.

- Select Host&Clusters

- Create a "DataCenter" object

- Click "Add Host" and follow the instructions

Again there are more configuration steps needed

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos
sandrohfict
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joerg,

It wasn't really that hard.

Thank you so much for your help.

It's finally working now. And I actually learned something:)

Have a nice day

Regards,

Sandro

0 Kudos