VMware Cloud Community
ronsim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi not free anymore?

Hi!

For some years ago VMWare release ESXi as a free hypervisior. you could install new VMs but you could't change settings on the VMs after.

This was very good to do some testing in a single-host enviroment.

I registred me, got the ESXi 5.5 and received a Licens-key. This have been very usefull in this small test-enviroment.

Now i wanted to test out ESXi 6.5 with the new vSphere Web-portal and download the 6.5U2. This is the last supported version for my old HP ProLiant DL360 G7 with Xeon E5506.

I tought to use this old server for this test-enviroment as long as the server lives.

Now it seems like ESXi is not free anymore. Can anyone confirm that ESXi is not free anymore?

Best regards,

Ronny Simonsen

Narvik - Norway

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sign up under Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor for Free   a new account and generate a new vSphere 6.7 license keys..... try if this license key also works under your 6.5.

Regards

Joerg

View solution in original post

10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> you could install new VMs but you could't change settings on the VMs after.
Wrong - ESXi never did that - neither the paid version nor the free one.
> Now it seems like ESXi is not free anymore. Can anyone confirm that ESXi is not free anymore?
No - we cant confirm that as it is simply plain wrong.
Where do you get your infos ???

ronsim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You have to explain what is wrong!

Is ESXi free or not?

RS

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is free, please note that for each individual product/version you have to register for evaluation.

Try downloading from here -   evalcenter

continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can buy the full featured versions - or you can get the crippled free version for free.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Funny naming.....

vSphere ESXi is not free. Right!

The $$ versions are called "vSphere ESXi".

Its the "vSphere Hypervisor" which is the free thing! Same Software as ESXi but with the free License key its disable all the nice things but its usable and costs nothing. You can switch your installation by changing the lic keys without reinstalling or rebooting.

Regards

Joerg

ronsim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, i have registrert ESXi 5.5 and it refused me to register 6.5 and i got a respons that my evaluation has expired.

The other problem is that your link only gives me vSphere ESXi 6.7 and that version is not supported on my server-platform. 6.5U2 is the latest version that support my server.

I had to create a new account. I had to since the old one is connected to an old e-mail-address i don't use anymore.
Then i manage to registre 6.5 and download it, but it says its only a 60 days trial.

How can i get ESXi 6.5 as Free download without 60 days trial?

RS

0 Kudos
ronsim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is what i ask for. How do i get ESXi 6.5 free edition that is not 60 days trial?

RS

0 Kudos
ronsim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm confused!

VMWare ESXi was the free edition of VMWare ESX. I only want ESXi 6.5 for my old server-hw. The latest 6.7 doesn't support my server-hw.

I only want ESXi, but i can only find the vSphere Hypervisior as a 60 days trial. I can't find ESXi free edition.

I have registred vSphere ESXi 6.5 but i only got i 60 days trial. This is my problem.

RS

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sign up under Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor for Free   a new account and generate a new vSphere 6.7 license keys..... try if this license key also works under your 6.5.

Regards

Joerg

ronsim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks allot!

It worked! 🙂

RS