We have a requirement to rename all ESXi hosts in a cluster. Hosts are connected to the distributed switch including mgmt network. vCenter is connected to SRM
Planning to follow the below steps. Please advise on this
- Move the mgmt nw for the host from the distributed switch to std switch
- Place the host in Maintenance mode
- Disconnect and remove the host from vCenter
- Modify the DNS record
- Rename the host in DCUI
- Reconnect the host back to vCenter server.
- Exit the host from Maintenance mode
Thanks for the article.
Just for confirmation. I need to migrate the mgmt network alone to std switch and for other networks of vMotion & VM networks, I can keep those in vDS and after rename of the host, it can be re-added to vDS without any issues.
@SatB , yes that should be enough. The VM's don't have to move, as long as you are not changing anything related to uplinks from the dvSwitch.
Just be careful: Disable DRS before destroying the cluster/removing the old FQDN of your ESXi hosts, Especially if it's set on fully automated.