VMware Cloud Community
Joe_Papa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi configuration of VM auto shutdown and startup?

I have a HP ML350 G6 server running as a home lab. It's running stable on version 6.0 r3 right now with an Eaton 9130 PSU. I have 3 VMs running on it currently and I want to set up the server to gracefully shut them down in a certain order if battery power gets down to a certain level.

I've googled the documentation I can find, but I don't see what the documentation says I should see... When I log into the web client I click on "Host" as they say, but there is no "configuration" tab... Do I have to be in maintenance mode or something?

5 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine
Most of PSU's have a OS integration software that let's the Server Hardware know the status of the PSU and trigger a clean power of in case it's needed

for Eaton it's Inteligent power managemer, you can check it here Eaton and VMware integration

Eaton Intelligent Power Software

Hope this works

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Host->Configuration sounds more like a Host within vCenter rather than ESXi as standalone and only have Hostclient around.

1. The standadlone ESXi have for sure an VM Startup/Shutdown option which needs to be anabled and a propper configure. For example the default is VM powered off an not gracefull shutdown!

2. It all depends how the UPS manufacture designs the integrations. Eaton have a very complicated/powerfull Integration and APC with PCNS an more simple one.

Regards,

Joerg

Joe_Papa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So perhaps I am confused... When I look at the documentation for vSphere 6.0 it doesn't mention vCenter, but does it assume that I have vCenter installed?

Edit Virtual Machine Startup and Shutdown Settings  Here is where I was looking for an example...

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

In the document you attached is speaking of vSphere Client --> vCenter Management interface.

Just one thing, if you want the VMs to shut down when the battery is down you need to set up the PSU management service, the document your referenced is the ESXi host behavior when it is already booted (will it power on all VMs?, Will it power on some of them?, on which priority?)

Hope this worked

Warm regards

Joe_Papa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. I learned something... The vSphere Client has a lot of options that the web client doesn't have despite the fact that they say the web client is better... This is all very confusing. :smileysilly:

The VM Startup and Shutdown are only visible from the vSphere Client.

So I was able to configure the VM Startup and Shutdown order and timing which is good. Now I just need to figure out how to have the server shutdown triggered by the condition of the UPS... Currently the UPS is connected to the server by USB, but the software recommended above says it only works with a UPS network card. Not sure what to do about that.

0 Kudos