VMware Cloud Community
MK_Virt
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi V7.0 - Guest VM tools update

Hi, 

I am new to VMware esxi, so i do not know if i have posted the question in correct location. 

Any how, I have a ESXi V7.0 server, We have created Guest VM with Compatibility to ESXi V6.0 with Windows Server 2008 32 bit OS installed in them. We have restored Macrium image backup of old Guest VM's in new Servers. 

Upon powering on the Guest VM, VM tools are installed already and has an update. When trying to install updates, it had an error "Update tools failed", We searched the knowledge base and upon article no 2007298, We modified the vmx file to "isolation.tools.guestInitiatedUpgrade.disable = "FALSE"", Now as we run the VM and try to install the update, There is no response or error the vm just sits there without any reaction.

What could be the problem. Can any one help me out.

Labels (1)
  • h

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Have you tried uninstalling the VMware tools, restarting the VM and then installing the VMware tools provided by the esxi host?

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
MK_Virt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 

Thank you for your reply, Yes i have tried to uninstall the tools, by doing that the entire VM image gets corrupt. 

What else, can i try on. Now i am trying to install a blank Server 2008 system and check the same. 

0 Kudos