VMware Cloud Community
vbg
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi - Storage

I have installed ESXi 6.5 on 3 devices - on a 500Gb Crucial SST, on a 240Gb Kingston SST and on a 260Gb Seagate HDD. When I go on the WEB admin interface of ESXi, I do not see any Storage. If I click on Storage, there no device. It is just written No items to display. How can this be, since all devices that I have tried it on are 200+ Gb in size?

I can't create a New Datastore and I can't create any VM.

If I go into Storage - Devices, I can see my HDD, I can see the partitions and I can see the Free-space Partition too. The only thing I can do is to Clear the Partition Table. I can't do any other changes.

I am stuck and I do not know if it is a problem with my HDD or with my desktop all-together.

Please also the see images attached.

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
vbg
Contributor
Contributor

Please pardon my grammar mistakes and I want to add one thing. What I am mostly curious is how come I do not see in Storage, when trying to create a new VM, the free space that I have left on the HDD device on which I have installed ESXi? I have tried on 3 different different devices and I got the same result Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you really installing ESXi upon and trying to run VMs on a traditional, single hard drive connected to a USB converter attached to a desktop?

0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

do you get any output from:

esxcli storage core device list

This should show you all the devices that the esxi box can see as attached....

It maybe that you do not have an appropriate/supported storage controller... verify which storage controllers your system sees with:

esxcli storage core adapter list

0 Kudos