VMware Cloud Community
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Offline

Hello,

is it possible to install ESXi onto a formatted hard drive and boot it without using the install iso

0 Kudos
8 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Only in VMware Workstation

0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any instructions about how

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

do you need VMware Workstation at all? and what is the need, sorry of course for such a question, of installing ESXi in offline mode?

0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

I have VMware workstation 16, it’s to see if it would bypass the no network adapters error on my other machine

0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

Hello?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi, hello to you,

the indication "no network adapter" when installing an ESXi host exactly means that your system does not have any compatible network adapter, which you cannot simply bypass by "using" ESXi installed from elsewhere. And by the way, the more recent the version of ESXi is, the more likely it is that certain now objectively obsolete devices no longer work, always admitted but not granted that the manufacturer of the same has ever released compatible drivers.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks for your reply, I only have a license for ESXi 7.0 (latest version).

I have tried to install it on a machine with a realtek network interface.

I have decided to go to proxmox for that particular machine.

Regards 

J

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Realtek NIC has always been a problem simply because their manufacturer, as far as I know, is aimed at a purely "consumer" market which is very different from the market targeted by a product like ESXi. Many remedy simply by installing a compatible network card, which, nowadays it is easy to obtain at reasonably low cost.

In any case, since you have already adopted an alternative solution that suits your needs, that's fine.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos