VMware Cloud Community
SupportMeFFS
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Host keeps failing with Purple Screen

Setup: -

2 x HP DL380. 146GB Mem. Two local Hard Disks. iSCSI link to SAN.

Each host is running VMware Essentials Plus 5.5

One of the hosts is failing with a purple screen. Having reviewed the log file after extracting from VMKernal the solutions provided are ambiguous.

It can reference any VM on the Host when purple screening.

I have only one VM running on this failing host and its just failed again today.

We have run Mem Test 86 with no errors, so assume RAM is ok. Some VMware articles suggest Exception 14 is a Hardware or Software problem...this is vague.

Can anyone offer any solutions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You have an *extremely* early build of 5.5 there. So old, in fact, it's almost 4 ​years​ old. Are you aware that 5.5 is now officially unsupported? You need to move off that version at to at least 6.0 patched up to the current level.

0 Kudos
SupportMeFFS
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for commenting and pointing this out. We were aware we needed to upgrade to 6.0, but thank you for making me aware we are on an early release of 5.5. Upgrading to 6.0 is an outstanding task that has lots of dependencies we need to carefully manage. Given the host is failing so regularly and all workloads have been migrated off this host I will have a go at upgrading the Host firstly, to the latest version of 5.5 and i'll run some tests.

I'll update the thread once I've tested the host with 5.5 latest release.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos