VMware Cloud Community
tafkap
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7:

Hi all,

Recently i installed ESXi on my Dell PowerEdge R920, 4x Xeon 4880 v2 (2.5Ghz), 512GB RAM DDR3, RAID0 of 4x SAS HDD 10k.

I created a new VM for openSUSE Tumbleweed with 2 CPUs, 16GB RAM and 10GB HDD. Installation ok.

But in use it's very slow, the system is not responsive at all, sometimes I have to wait a few seconds to perform an action.

I missed something or what? Smiley Wink Do I need to install drivers maybe?

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

It looks the R920 is qualified only up to ESXi 6.5U3

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=server&productid=20984

The E7-4880 v2 is an Ivy Bridge CPU and therefore does not have the INVPCID instruction (comes with Haswell and newer). A modern OS with Meltdown patch without the INVPCID instruction that is I/O bound (network or disk or both) such as during an update after a fresh install of guest OS, will likely experience many VM-EXITs (VM handing control back to hypervisor and then back) and thus appear slow/sluggish.

10GB for VM virtual disk seems rather small. It is better to allocate a bit more to have free space within the VM virtual disk and best to have it as thick-provisioned.

The VM must be singing...

Ain't no particular driver I'm more compatible with, spending all these extra time without much....speed

0 Kudos