VMware Cloud Community
Saghir81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.7 unable to add in Vcenter server with host name

I have three ESXi 6.7 hosts and all hosts has successfully joined the domain but I am unable to ping esxi host name on activity directory. also I am unable to add host with host name on vcenter server, Please help me to sort out my this config issue, thanks!

Br,

Saghir

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Adding ESXi hosts to a domain is optional, i.e. not needed for vCenter Server integration.

Regarding vCenter Server. If you want to set thi up, you'll have to create a DNS record for it too, but this time enable the PTR rcord option, since vCenter Server needs reverse DNS resolution.

André

View solution in original post

11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's not a matter of joining a host to a domain.

What you need to do, is to manually create a static DNS Host-A record for each ESXi host on your DNS server.

André

ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Saghir81​ and welcome to the community!

I would check a couple of things first:

1. From DNS management console can you see an A and PTR record for the host you are trying to add?
  2. Confirm your client DNS resolvers are pointed to a DNS server that holds the valid records. ( This is just to cover the bases but is highly unlikely to be the issue)

If there are no A and PTR record then manually create them and try again.

Kind regards.

Saghir81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

thanks for your reply, I am new and recently working on Vmware, you mean I need to add host in my domain controller instead of joining to domain?, I am doing this because I want to add my all host in Vcenter with host name not with IP address, because last time I add my hosts in vcenter with IP address after 1 to 2 days my all host showing on vcenter with status not responding. can you please guide me how I crate static DNS host, because my DNS & AD both are the same.

Br,

Saghir

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Saghir81​,

The ESXi host has been added to the domain (AD) but you need to create the DNS entries for the host in DNS. Yes both AD and DNS will be (most likely) hosted on the same server so just use the DNS management console to create the entry.

Do you have an AD administrator that would be able to create the DNS entry for you?

Kind regards.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Logon to to your AD/DNS server, and open DNS Management. From there select your domain under Forward Lookup Zones, then right click to add a new Host-A record with the host's name, and IP address.

André

Saghir81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, no I have no AD administrator, I am managing the AD but first time I am working with AD domain controller and Vmware, that's why facing these issues.

0 Kudos
Saghir81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thanks, I am trying to do these steps and will update your.

0 Kudos
Saghir81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

there are two check box for creating DNS entry for host, can you guide me should I leave unchecked as default or make a check of any of two or both:

1-create associated pointer (PTR) record

2-allow any authenticated user to update dns record with the same owner name

Br,

Saghir

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Leave both of them unchecked.

André

0 Kudos
Saghir81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

O thanks a lot, much appreciated your response, now I am able to ping my ESXi host as well from AD, its mean now I can add my esxi hosts with host name in vcenter, Please confirm me one things: currently my all 3 hosts are joined with domain, should I need to remove these esxi host from the domain, or I will go for further to add these hosts to Vcenter server?

Br,

saghir

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Adding ESXi hosts to a domain is optional, i.e. not needed for vCenter Server integration.

Regarding vCenter Server. If you want to set thi up, you'll have to create a DNS record for it too, but this time enable the PTR rcord option, since vCenter Server needs reverse DNS resolution.

André