VMware Cloud Community
JackDertochipIT
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7 booting from client CD Drive

Hello,

We were wondering if it is possible to boot from our client CD Drive when installing a OS to a VM in the esxi 6.7 web interface.

We haven't had any problems booting from the host's CD Drive & datastore, however I have been trying to look for an option to boot from my PCs cd drive and haven't found anything. We thought this was possible in Esxi 6.7, just like the older vsphere client program.

If not possible - does anyone know of a way to work esxi 6.7 from vpshere client and not the new web interface?

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

0 Kudos
JackDertochipIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

That option just doesn't show up, we only have the following:

pastedImage_0.png

- Host device

- Datastore ISO file

0 Kudos
psibaja
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello JackDertochipIT

In ESXi 6.7 the option is "Host Device", under this option you could select the right physical CD/DVD-ROM where you have put your Guest OS installer in your server. Make sure the virtual CD/DVD-ROM is marked a "Connected at power on". Then boot the VM and you could continue from there installing the OS.

Here is the official documentation for 6.7: Configure a Client Device Type for the CD/DVD Drive

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

I think you need to use the VM Remote Console to be able to connect to client device.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Most probably because client device existed on ESXi 6.0 and earlier versions because those host were managed from vSphere client. ESXi 6.5 and above are managed directly from web client hence "Client Device" is eliminated.

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos