scriffles
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7 - Can't Add USB Device while VM is powered on?

I'm trying to migrate some 32-bit Linux VMs from ESXi 5.1.0 onto a new 6.7.0 host. The machines are not running VMware Tools, if that makes any difference.

When I try to add a USB device in 6.7, while the VM is running, I get an error message saying it can't be done while the machine is powered on.

Worked perfectly in 5.1.0, with machine powered on, no problems.

If I try the same with a Windows VM running VMware Tools, it works. It only seems to be the Linux VMs.

How do I hot-plug a USB device to a Linux VM while the VM is powered on?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scriffles
Contributor
Contributor

Seems it's not just USB devices. It's impossible to make any changes to the hardware while the VM is powered on.

Even just opening the Edit Settings dialogue and clicking "Save" without changing anything produces the same error.

Why this limitation that wasn't present in ESXi 5?

0 Kudos
jUDASmILExAlmig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi scriffles

Which hardware version of your VM you are working on, which kind of Linux you selected when creating this VM and which kind of USB controller/device you are trying to add to the VM? As there's significant changes between vS5.1 and vS6.7 it's hard to tell which change made the differences on VM settings behavior. As in age of vS5.1 we were still using C# client to handle host/VM operations but switched to host client or NGC in vS6.7.

Anyway, currently in vS6.7, USB2.0 controller is not supported to be 'hot plug/unplug' when VM is powered on. But for XHCI(USB3.0) controller and USB3.0 devices -- either host connected or from your desktop -- support to be added when VM is powered on. BTW, you don't need to have the VMware tools installed for this kind operation.

0 Kudos