VMware Cloud Community
afmiller
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 VLAN issue

Attached are photos on my settings. I am having a problem once I switched from CAT 5 to 10Gb with the VLANs not working with ESXi. I am able to get to the web interface fine. Also if I switch from VLAN 100 to default VLAN, everything works. I have to be missing a setting somewhere but I don't know where.

vlan 1.PNGvlan 2.PNGvlan 3.PNGvlan 4.PNGvlan 5.PNG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
afmiller
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention the ten gigabit 1/2 is the trunk to the ESXi Machine

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Also if I switch from VLAN 100 to default VLAN, everything works.

If VLAN 100 is the default VLAN on the physical switch, then the physical switch will remove the VLAN tag from the ingress network packets, i.e. the vSwitch receives non-tagged packets, and therefore forwards them only to non-tagged port groups.

André

0 Kudos
afmiller
Contributor
Contributor

vlan 1 is the default vlan. vlan 100 is a Managment vlan I made

0 Kudos
afmiller
Contributor
Contributor

Below is the info for vlan 100. Also the int trunk. to show the trunking on 1/2. So the Native vlan is 1.

interface Vlan100

ip address 192.168.100.251 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 192.168.100.1

shutdown

!

vlan 6.PNG

0 Kudos
afmiller
Contributor
Contributor

I simplified the vlans to try and troubleshoot. Below are the ESXi settings for the vswitch, also I've attached my switch config. I know the vlan is function, because I can ping 192.168.100.1 from any host and I can get a valid ping

vlan 1.PNGvlan 2.PNG

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Also if I switch from VLAN 100 to default VLAN, everything works.

I'm not sure what exactly you are changng here. Would you please clarify this?

... because I can ping 192.168.100.1 from any host and I can get a valid ping

What is 192.168.100.1? Is it defined as the helper IP? Are you able to ping 192.168.100.251, which is currently "shutdown"?

What about VLAN 100 itself? Does it show up when you run the show vlan command? Is it up?

André

0 Kudos