VMware Cloud Community
prem1eraa
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 Problems with obtaining ip

Hello, this question itself ESXI gets ips from DHCP but not one of the virtual machines does not get IP or rather gets from pool 169. I was probyasovat directly one of the network cards on the server to the virtual machine but the effect is the same. What can be?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

A 169.254 address is a link-local address which means a DHCP request failed. You should check the VLAN which you have as access for that port into which the vmnic is cabled to see what DHCP is enabled on it, or forwarded to it.

0 Kudos
NickelIdea
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having an issue that is not exactly the same as yours but might be related.

I have 3 VM's on 3 seperate physical servers. these VM's have static IP addresses. Windows updates applied on the 16th an now when the server boots up instead of using the static address assigned it uses a 169 address like yours. When I disable the NIC and re-enable the NIC on the VM it uses the Static address configured.

0 Kudos
prem1eraa
Contributor
Contributor

Do not tell me how to do it. I recently started working with ESXi and I do not know everything yet

0 Kudos
prem1eraa
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the problem is still such that I decided to try it through another network card, and so one normal address is received from and the second is why 169. Although both through the same switch work.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I assume that the DHCP server has sufficient free leases, so I'd rule that out.

What you may want to check are the settings on the physical switch, to which the ESXi host is connected. Some switches come with port security enabled by default, which restricts the number of allowed MAC addresses (often called "mode desktop", or similar).

André

0 Kudos