VMware Cloud Community
hendersp3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.5 Host not responding in vCenter after reboot - Unsupported version URI "urn:vpxa3/6.0"

There are three hosts that all did this.  After rebooting the cluster all hosts say Not Responding in vCenter.  The hosts are online and all the VMs are running.  I can log into the hosts directly and everything is ok.

Details:

ESXi 6.5.0 Build 7388607

Windows vCenter Server 6.7  8833120

In the vpxa log of the hosts and the vpxd log of the vcenter I see things like this:

Got vmacore exception: class Vmacore::NotSupportedVersionException(Unsupported version URI "urn:vpxa3/6.0"

I manually clicked on one of the hosts and chose connect and the host reconnected just fine.  The messages (like above) for that particular host stopped. 

Can anyone tell me what the 6.0 means in urn:vpxa3/6.0 ? Its like the Host and vCenter are having a disagreement until I reconnect (or possibly restart agent or reboot host)

Thanks for any help.  Going nuts on this one.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

That error is common when the version of your ESXi is higher than your vCenter.

Try applying the latest patch

ESXi 6.5 U2CESXi650-2018080018/14/20189298722

pastedImage_0.png

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
hendersp3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the response.   I know the message is common when the ESXi version is higher than vCenter.  But in this case that is not what is happening. 

vCenter is 6.7 and ESXi is 6.5

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Windows vCenter Server 6.7  8833120

This is not a valid build number of vCenter Server. You might be getting the build of the vCenter installer. It should be one of the ones listed here.

0 Kudos
hendersp3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok finally getting back to this.  Here is the versions:

VMware VirtualCenter, pid=3970, version=6.5.0, build=7515524

ESXi 6.5 Patch 02 build 7388607

The hosts were ESXi 6.0 and on a vCenter 6.0.  The hosts were moved to a new build vcsa 6.5 - 7515524.  After adding them to a cluster and disabling HA we run an automated upgrade of all the hosts to ESXi 6.5 build 7388607.  The automation places host in MM to evacuate vms and upgrades the host.  After it reboots it stays disconnected. 

This has worked before.  Does anything I describe here sound off?

Thanks to all

0 Kudos