VMware Cloud Community
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

ESXi, 6.5.0 U2, 8294253

I am currently on this patch level of esxi for my server - ESXi, 6.5.0 U2, 8294253, what is the best method for determining what level to patch too next? Do I go directly to the most currently or to I patch everything in between?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

Is there any easy way to remove or rollback a patch?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do I go directly to the most currently or to I patch everything in between?

It depends on whether you are using the default VMware version, or a vendor customized version.

With the VMware version (assuming you dont's have additional drivers/tools installed) you may update/patch the host directly to the latest build.

In case of vendor customized versions, first pach the host to the latest available vendor image, and then apply additional patches. Vendors usually support patching their latest builds within an "Update" release.

Is there any easy way to remove or rollback a patch?

In most cases you can roll back by pressing "Shift-R" (there's a 5 seconds boot delay) on the ESXi host's console while booting it.

André

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

I am using the default version of 6.5 not vendor customized, I just upgraded from 5.5 to 6.5 appliance this spring and the patch version that it is on now is what I migrated/upgraded it to.

This seems to be the most recent release I have in the update manager VMware ESXi 6.5, Patch Release ESXi650-201811002 November 2018 update january 2019

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

I assume you do the shift-r during a reboot

0 Kudos