VMware Cloud Community
inhousetech
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0.0 client login

We are running a server using ESXi 4.0.0 for a while now and are in the process of moving our files to the cloud. However we have had a prolonged power outage that has taken the server down. I am now really struggling to connect to using the vshpere client 4.0 that I downloaded from the login page of the server,  I assume as i'm running Windows 10?

All I get is "vsphere client error parsing the server clients.xml file".

I'm desperate to get this server up and running but I'm at a loos of what to do next.

Thanks for any assistance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there.

First of all, as you know, ESXi 4.0 has been EOL for a very long time, so if possible, consider upgrading asap.

I think you are experience a known issue in that ESXi version. This articles may help you, also try using vsphere client from another OS:

VMware Knowledge Base

[Fix] “Error parsing the server “SERVER IP” “clients.xml” file.” Vsphere ESXi 4.0 Fix for Windows 7!

If not, can you provide the following info:

Can you access the host console with SSH or DCUI? If not, you may have a networking issue or SSH service stopped and you may need to access via ILO, iDRAC, etc.

Try downloading the vsphere client in another computer. I couldn't find any link  but you may be able to download it by the url https://esxi ip/.

Also restarting ESXi management services may help: VMware Knowledge Base . It's not disruptive at all. You may lose management for a few minutes but do not panic, it is completely normal.

Regards

0 Kudos
inhousetech
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Lucas, I've tried installing different versions of the 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0 software but because I'm using Windows 10 it wont install. I'm now just trying them on an old XP machine I have dug out.

The other link started off useful but the links in their document are no longer available!

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good luck with that! It seems VMware is trying to remove 4.0 from the earth by removing the links :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What files do you need access to exactly - your VMX/VMDK files, or the files within your guest OSes?

If you need files from within a guest OS, and your VMs are running, you could access the guest OS directly to get what you need.

If you need the VMX/VMDK files, you may still be able to use tools based on SSH such as SCP for file transfer. SSH or ILO/DRAC access would also give you the potential to power on your VMs from the command line: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
inhousetech
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott

I need the files within the guest OS (SBS), which is basically our company files. I have been slowly moving them to cloud storage but still have the last couple of months worth on there that we need access to. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the guest OS's have started automatically, hence needing the vShpere client to login and start them up.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So my final sentence above might help you:

SSH or ILO/DRAC access would also give you the potential to power on your VMs from the command line: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
inhousetech
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent, I will give that a go when I get back to the office later today. Thanks again.

0 Kudos