VMware Cloud Community
josiah75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXTOP Question

Hello All,

I am using the esxtop command to gather data for a project I am working on.  The information I have read is that to collect data I would run this command:  "nohup esxtop –b –d 60 –n 60 > /file/location/esxtop.csv"  According to this command it will collect data every 60 seconds for 60 intervals which would come out to 1 hour.  I executed the command and i ended up stopping the command after running for 1 hour and 10 min. because it was still running.  Are the syntax I am using to run this command incorrect?  The verison of ESXi the command is running on is ESXi 6.0 Express Patch 7a.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to rule this out, can you confirm that the hyphens in the command are correct. Your post shows ones which seem to be modified by e.g. Word.

wrong: "nohup esxtop –b –d 60 –n 60 > /file/location/esxtop.csv"

correct: "nohup esxtop -b -d 60 -n 60 > /file/location/esxtop.csv"

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Syntax looks good but you look to be missing “&” at the end.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
josiah75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ampersand on the end of the command just makes it run in the background.  When I ran the command it ran continuously for over the amount of iterations I entered in the command, so if it ran in the background I am afraid it would fill up a datastore to 100% if left unchecked.  At a delay of 60 seconds and 60 iterations you would expect it to be done after 1 hour.  When I checked it at 1 hour and 10 min. later it was still running gathering data and the csv file had 71 iterations of collection when I examined the file.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to rule this out, can you confirm that the hyphens in the command are correct. Your post shows ones which seem to be modified by e.g. Word.

wrong: "nohup esxtop –b –d 60 –n 60 > /file/location/esxtop.csv"

correct: "nohup esxtop -b -d 60 -n 60 > /file/location/esxtop.csv"

André

0 Kudos
josiah75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure it is a copy issue.  But thank you for the suggestion I have had that happen to me before.

I have to apologize to André.  I tried this again and it looks like the hyphens were copied from a different editor and were incorrect.  Typing in the command manually got the desired results.  Thank you André.

0 Kudos